Monday, May 3, 2021

Rebel Reflection: The Stars of “Star Wars” Share Their Memories

By Michael Lyons


“I can still remember sitting in that air-conditioned movie theater in the summer of 1977 and watching the Death Star explode!”

“My Luke Skywalker X-Wing Fighter action figure.  Best birthday present ever!”

“We waited for four days and nights, sleeping outside the movie theater...just to be the first inside to see Episode One!”

“I sat there, totally stressed for two hours hitting refresh on my computer, non-stop.  But, for tickets to see The Force Awakens?  Totally worth it!”

Yes, Star Wars fans have some incredible stories and memories (not to mention devotion).  Ask any, and they will have a personal account of their connection to the immense “Galaxy Far Far Away” that George Lucas created with the original Star Wars that began forty-four years ago and continues with recent entries in the saga like The Mandalorian on Disney+.

But, what’s it like to be part of Star Wars?  In honor of “Star Wars Day” - May the Fourth be with You, after all - what follows are some reflections from the actors and filmmakers who have brought this great Galactic world to us.

“I understood the impact of those movies because I had young children who watched them religiously.  I saw the Star Wars films so often in my house that I ended up knowing all of the other actors’ lines.” - Harrison Ford (Han Solo)

“Your life goes on, and then your life goes on plus Star Wars.  It’s just been an incredible time.” - Daisy Ridley (Rey)

“On set, I would say, ‘Move out of the way, icon coming through.’  C-3PO will out-survive me, all of us.  Now, with electronic media, these images exist forever, and I am very proud about that because I respect him a great deal.” - Anthony Daniels (C3PO)

Star Wars is probably the most influential film of my generation.  That work was the personification of good and evil and the way it opened up the world to space adventure, the way westerns did to our parents’ generations, it left an indelible imprint.  So, but in a way, everything that any of us does is somehow directly or indirectly affected by the experience of seeing those first three films.” - J.J. Abrams (director, The Force Awakens and The Rise of Skywalker)

“I think that Star Wars revolutionized not only sci-fi movies, but also the entire industry in the way that things are done.”  Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca)

“All these years later, I’m really aware of what our films meant to the generation that they were made for, the children of that time.” - Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan Kenobi in Episodes I-III and an upcoming Disney+ series)

“I am a tremendous Star Wars fan; I know the story means an enormous love to me.  I love the characters.” - Richard Marquand (director, Return of the Jedi)

Star Wars boils down to the transition from adolescence to adulthood.” - Rian Johnson (director, The Last Jedi)

“At the last Celebration, I spoke before an auditorium full of people and I could just feel the affection and the positive feelings that they were exuding.  I was actually moving.  I remember thinking, ‘I’m not worthy,’ because Star Wars is so much bigger than all of us.” - Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker)

“...I set out to make a film for a generation growing up without fairy tales.” - George Lucas

“People are still asking me if I knew Star Wars was going to be that big of a hit.  Yes, we all knew.  The only one who didn’t know was George.” - Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia)


Whether you saw Star Wars in a theater, on VHS, cable TV, at a multiplex, or on Disney+, the memories will keep coming.

Happy “Star Wars Day” to all!  May the Fourth be with You!


Sources:

Brainyquote.com

Darksideoftheforce.com

Fox Home Video

Inspiringquotes.us









No comments:

Post a Comment