Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Film School: Movie Quote Tributes to Teachers

 By Michael Lyons


I still think about my sixth-grade teacher—Mr. Simola, Ralph J. Osgood Elementary School in Kings Park, NY.

I was in his class forty-two years ago.  But, the influence and inspiration he provided are still with me to this day.  That's what teachers do.  They provide life lessons that shape us and remain guideposts, no matter how many years pass by.


As a new school year starts, once again, under extremely challenging conditions for so many, it's good to pause and reflect on the crucial role teachers play in our lives.


And where better to celebrate that than in movies that have celebrated teaching.  What follows are some memorable quotes from and about some remarkable movie teachers:



"In my classroom, poetry is its own reward."

-Teacher Louanne Johnson (Michelle Pfeiffer) in Dangerous Minds (1995).


"Yeah, I've been beaten up, but I'm not beaten.  I'm not beaten and I'm not a quitter."

- Teacher Richard Dadier (Glenn Ford) in The Blackboard Jungle (1955).


"It will test your head, and your mind, and your brain, too."

 - Teacher Dewey Finn (Jack Black) in School of Rock (2003).


"I think I'm attracted to teachers.  Yeah, I took out an English teacher.  That didn't work out at all.  I sent her a love letter...she corrected it!"

- Student Thornton Melon (Rodney Dangerfield) in Back to School (1986).


"...I teach truths.  My truths. Yeah, and it's kind of scary dealing with the truth.  Scary and dangerous..."

- Teacher Mark Thackeray (Sidney Poitier) in To Sir with Love (1967).


"And when you write that book of yours, remember that in addition to all those boys you taught, you managed to teach something to at least one headmaster."

 - Headmaster Ralston (Austin Trevor) to Teacher Charles Chipping (Robert Donat) in Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939).


"Mr. Holland had a profound influence on my life and on a lot of lives I know. But I have a feeling that he considers a great part of his own life misspent. Rumor had it he was always working on this symphony of his. And this was going to make him famous, rich, probably both. But Mr. Holland isn't rich and he isn't famous, at least not outside of our little town. So it might be easy for him to think himself a failure. But he would be wrong, because I think that he's achieved a success far beyond riches and fame. Look around you. There is not a life in this room that you have not touched, and each of us is a better person because of you. We are your symphony Mr. Holland. We are the melodies and the notes of your opus. We are the music of your life."

 - A former student discussing Teacher Glenn Holland (Richard Dreyfuss) in Mr. Holland's Opus (1995)


“... you ask, how do we get the students in on Saturdays for remedial reading? So, I'll tell you how: We’ll go to their homes. We’ll talk to their folks. If their folks can't read - as some of them indeed cannot - then they can come in, too. The only way we're going to get anything done around here is to get everyone involved! That goes for all of you: it's time to get involved!”

 - Principal Joe Clark (Morgan Freeman) to Teachers in Lean on Me (1989).




“We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.  To quote from Whitman:  ‘Oh me! Oh life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with a foolish; what good amid these, O me oh life?’ Answer.  That you are here - that life exists, and identity; That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?”


-Teacher John Keating (Robin Williams) in Dead Poets Society (1989)


And so, to all the "Mr. Simolas" out there - the teachers making lives better, as we start this new school year - here is one more quote:

"Thank you!"


Sources:

IMDb


No comments:

Post a Comment