Monday, February 8, 2021

Love Lines: Movies’ Most Romantic Dialogue

By Michael Lyons 

Here we are, heading into another Valentine’s Day.  It’s probably the only holiday where socially distancing is not encouraged (if you are thinking about staying six feet apart from your significant other, chocolate hearts and flowers are probably not the first things on your mind).

If you find yourself tongue-tied, as you try to find the right words to express how you feel, consider looking to the movies for some heartfelt inspiration.  What follows is a brief, not all-inclusive list of quotes from some of Hollywood’s most romantic films.  Some touching, some funny, all enjoyable...

Valentine’s Day (2010)

“When you love someone, you love all of them...you gotta love everything about them, not just the good things but the bad things too.  The things that you find lovable and the things that you don’t.”

The Notebook (2004)

“No matter what happens to us, every day spent with you is the best day of my life.”

Moulin Rougue (2001)

“The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.”

Ghost (1990)

“The love inside, you take it with you.”

The Princess Bride (1987)

“As you wish.”

Annie Hall (1977)

“This guy goes to a psychiatrist and says, ‘Doc, my brother’s crazy; he thinks he’s a chicken.’  And the doctor says, ‘Well, why don’t you turn him in?’  The guy says, ‘I would, but i need the eggs.’  Well, I guess that’s pretty much how I feel about relationships; ya know, they’re totally irrational, and crazy, and absurd...but I guess we keep going through it because most os us need the eggs.”

Some Like it Hot (1959)

 - “I smoke, I smoke all the time!”

 - “I don’t care.”

 - “Well, I have a terrible past.  For three years now, I’ve been living with a saxophone player!”

 - “I forgive you.”

 - “I can never have children.”

“We can adopt some.”

 - “But you don’t understand...I’m a man!”

 - Well...nobody’s perfect!”

An Affair to Remember (1957)

“We’d be fools to let happiness pass us by.”

Cinderella (1950)

“So this is love.  So this is what makes life divine.”

The Philadelphia Story (1940)

“The course of true love...gathers no moss.”

It Happened One Night (1934)

 - “What are you thinking about?’

 - “By a strange coincidence, I was thinking of you.”


As with any movie quote, each of these are better when heard in the context of the entire story and the complete film.  So, consider watching some or all of these and the many other romantic films Hollywood has to offer for a “socially close” evening at home with the one you love.

Happy Valentine’s Day!








 





No comments:

Post a Comment